The history of the faculty began in 1931 when the evening department of Stalingrad tractor-building institute was formed. That year 118 students were enrolled at the department. Most of them worked at the Tractor Plant and studied without discontinuing work.
As the institute grew and developed, new forms of education and specialties were introduced. In 1960 an extra-mural faculty was formed, which made higher education available for people living far from Volgograd. In the 70-ies up to 1500 students from Lower Volga region, Kalmykia and Krasnodar Territory studied at the faculty.
In the 80-ies, a rapid technical progress, development of new information technologies and computerization of engineering activities set the task to organize retraining of engineers who had graduated from institutes many years back. A special retraining faculty was created in 1986. Every year about 100 students could study courses in CAD, marketing, management and other new disciplines brought forth by transition to market economy. In 1995 the evening, extra-mural and retraining faculties were united. The joint faculty was named training and retraining faculty for engineers. A new kind of activities was added - skill upgrading and retraining of specialists already holding high education diplomas. Today the faculty offers training in 12 specialties and has over 1700 evening and extra-mural students. Since 1995 the faculty has been headed by associate professor A.N. Savkin.
New forms of education have been introduced at the faculty in the last few years. College graduates can now be enrolled in short-term programs to receive higher education. Distance learning is being evaluated in the retraining system of the faculty. It is planned to use distance learning in future for extra-mural education.
Address: 400131, Russia , Volgograd, Lenin avenue 28, VSTU, Training and retraining faculty for engineers
Tel.: (8442) 74-05-61, 29-29-34
Dean: A.N. Savkin